Board of Deacons
Dan Chow | Deacon Moderator
The office of deacon, as set forth in scripture, is one of compassion, witness, and service after the example of Jesus Christ.
The duties of the deacons at First Presbyterian Church of Wilmette are to provide assistance and care to those who are in need, to the friendless, and to any in distress both within and beyond the community of faith. Our motto is "be the heart and hands of Christ.”
Class of 2012
Class of 2013
Each Deacon serves on the Board for 3 years and in one of several ministry groups:
- Deacon Care List: Maintain the deacon care list in conjunction with staff and moderator; visit those who are homebound or recruit volunteers to do so.
- Meals and Ministry for Life Events and Newborns: Contact families with new babies, offer meals, and assist with errands. Be available to visit, help, and deliver a meal to someone who needs a hand because of a life event such as illness, household move, stress, or death.
- Transportation: Provide rides to those in need of transportation to church; maintain an ongoing list of members who need rides to church, to the doctor, or to the grocery store.
- Flowers: Deliver flowers from the sanctuary on a weekly basis; coordinate of delivery of poinsettias at Christmas and lilies at Easter.
- New Member Welcome and Congregational Fellowship: Coordinate the guest list, send invitations to new members and those looking for new church, and provide the location and host for this quarterly welcoming event.
- Giving Tree: Contact the nonprofit organizations that will receive and distribute the gifts, set up the Christmas tree, and keep track of gifts.
- Christmas Cookies: Purchase platters and tins for packaging the cookies; recruit volunteers for assembly and delivery.
As an entire Board, we also coordinate Fellowship Hour and Lemonade on the Lawn for the congregation.
If you or someone you know is in need of care or assistance through a meal, flowers, transportation or just a visit from someone, please contact the moderator or staff through the church office at 847-256-3010 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to help us in our ministry and are interested in becoming a Deacon, please contact the Nominating Committee. Likewise, if you know of someone in the congregation who would make a great Deacon, make sure to let the Nominating Committee know.
How to Serve
We Presbyterians choose, through nominations and elections, those who will guide the local congregation. A nominating committee presents a slate of officers, and the congregation elects elders, deacons, and a new nominating committee at the annual meeting held in the spring. It’s an exciting time as we search for a variety of individuals with gifts and talents to share.
The Nominating Committee seeks a balance of men and women, newer members and longer-term members, and younger and older members. All members are eligible — the only requirement is a willing heart growing in faith. Please prayerfully consider those whom you feel God has gifted to serve as a church officer (including yourself) and offer up their names to the Nominating Committee.
The Nominating Committee accepts nominations from the congregation, and speaks to and prayerfully considers each person put forward, and presents a slate of nominees to the congregation at the annual meeting. Committee members serve for 1 year. Please prayerfully consider members for these positions, and refer them when nominating forms are made available.